[mythtv-users] Trouble moving backend database to new hardware

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:42:44 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Matt Rude <mythtv at mattrude.com> wrote:

> ryan patterson wrote:
> > I assume the root cause of the error is because of slightly different
> > versions of mythtv between old/new installs.  But I'm not sure which is
> > older and which is newer.  My old setup was running knoppmyth which is a
>
> > distribution based on debian that automatically sets up mythtv.  I think
> > I was running .20-fixes  It is possible that the mythtv version in the
> > Edgy repository is actually older.  This might be a deal breaker.  I'll
> > experiment some more too see if I can get it to work.
> >
> > On 1/11/07, *Adrian* <642040 at gmail.com <mailto:642040 at gmail.com >>
> wrote:
> >
> >     On 1/11/07, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:ryan.goat at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >      > I am trying to upgrade my mythtv setup.  I am moving from a
> >     debian install
> >      > to a ubuntu install.
> >
> >     I am just about to do the same, so I was reading this thread
> >     carefully...
> >
> >     Could the problem be that you are migrating from an older version of
> >     Myth to a newer version?  If that is the case, the database
> structure
> >     is likely different.  I think that the instructions that you were
> >     following assume that you are migrating from and to the same
> >     version...
> >
> >     Sorry, I am not sure of the best way to recover?
> >
> >     Adrian
>
> I beleave you are trying to downgrade from a database that (at lease for
> a time) was running the SVN trunk or the bleeding version of mythtv. you
>   database error talks about storage groups witch is only on the trunk
> (devilment) version at this time (not 0.20). so if your trying to
> install mythtv 0.20 on your new setup I would suggest you only restore
> the tables that you need to restore and no others (but 1st backup and
> wipe your *new* database before you try to restore)
>
> -Matt

Matt, could you tell me how to restore only some tables?  I am only
interested in preserving the list of already viewed shows.  I can manually
reenter the recording profiles and all other settings.  I don't know mysql
or the mythconverge database.  The instructions I originally followed say to
grep the following items out of the database dump: record, recorded,
oldrecorded, recordedprogram, recordedrating, & recordedmarkup.  I assume
that I only want some of those.  but I have no idea which ones.