[mythtv-users] HDMI capture device

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:12:32 UTC 2007

>From: "Willy Boyd" <willyboyd at gmail.com>
>On 1/11/07, Jake Palmer <jakep_82 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > So this card isn't HDCP compliant yet you're going to somehow record
> > protected content?  Good luck.
>UH... the way I read it, that poster was stating "Most HDTV thru STB
>are dont use HDCP!", in other words, for now most HD content through
>the STB is not using HDCP over HDMI.  Now whether or not that's true I
>have no clue, as I'm still doing analog recording myself.  But
>still...  Doesn't look like it to me he was suggesting being able to
>record HDCP content at all.

It's not true.  Check this link for someones experience with Comcast,
Motorola, HDMI and HDCP.

Long story short, the media companies aren't stupid.  HDMI from a STB uses
HDCP.  The only true loophole is analog, but hardware encoding component
capture cards don't exist in consumer form.  So once again I say good luck.