[mythtv-users] Two part-time backends? MythVideo standalone?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:37:40 UTC 2007

> The short answer is, no.  If MythVideo is set to browse mode it doesn't
> need the database to look up file info although it would need the database
> to look up which player to use for which filetypes or, at the very least,
> the default player setting.

OK, that won't work at the moment then, but couldn't those settings be
cached? What I was suggesting in my first post was that a slave (or even
dummy) backend could be used to store settings for the local frontend. If
the local database contained file types (which could be copied from the
master backend's database periodically), it wouldn't need to connect to the
master backend.

> Plus, how would it know it should use browse mode without checking the
> database for the setting that defines what mode it should run in?

Using the local database described above. I know at the moment all frontend
settings are stored in a single database on the master backend, but there
doesn't seem to be any real reason for that - why not store local settings
in a local database? I know it would require mysql to be installed on the
frontend, that's why my original post suggested putting a backend on the
frontend machine.

Not to mention that the frontend has no way of knowing that you want it to
> start up only to use MythVideo or watch a DVD.  Any other frontend function
> would require database access at least to check settings.

Yes it does have a way of knowing - this could be the default action if it
can't connect to the backend. At the moment, if mythfrontend can't connect
to the backend, it loads up a page asking for connection details to the
backend (IP address, user name and password details, etc), why can't it load
mythfrontend with limited functionality based on cached player settings?  It
wouldn't have to use the database any more than a shell script that pings
the backend IP address and if the ping isn't returned loads xine instead of
mythfrontend.

Any way you look at it, even if you didn't need a master backend running you
> would at least need a running DB server.

But that's why I was wondering if it could be solved using a dummy backend
on the frontend machine. In fact, how about running two independent
networks? I have the 0.20 version installed in /usr/bin, and when the
machine is booted up, it automatically loads /usr/bin/mythfrontend. But what
is stopping me installing the SVN version (for example - or another
0.20version) complete with backend onto the downstairs PC. When the
computer is
booted up, a shell script pings the upstairs computer to determine whether
or not the backend is running, if it is running it runs
/usr/bin/mythfrontend, if it is not running it loads
/usr/local/bin/mythbackend&, then runs /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend. The
frontend stored in /usr/local, will then connect to the local backend, and
allow DVDs to be played.

Jonny