[mythtv-users] acpi / Fedora 5 / MythTv .20

Martijn Morriën dj.escay at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 15:31:15 UTC 2007

Last weekend I installed MythWelcom on my Fedora Core 4 / Jarod wilson
setup. My MSI K3 Ultra motherboard has /proc/acpi/alarm available. If I
overwrite it like you did the machine does start up but when it has started
it does not show the time I set manually when I do a cat /proc/acpi/alarm.
It shows the wake up time found in the bios menu.

The only problem I have is that due to this 'bug' MythWelcome cannot see
that the machine started automatically or manually, so it always thinks it
has been started manually and waits for the Frontend to be used before it
allows you to shutdown.

So in mythtv-setup I disabled the option to wait for a client to be started,
but I increased the time to shutdown all backends from 5 seconds to 600
seconds. Otherwise you didn't have time to start the Frontend, because it
immediately did a shutdown.
(If you are running Fedora and you have this loop problem, use the
interactive startup mode and do not start the mythbackend service ,this will
cause mythwelcome/mythshutdown to not shut down your machine immediately).

If I were you I would double check if your machine really doesn't wakeup
when you manually updated the /proc/acpi/alarm.
Also check out the fussy bios issues at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ACPI_Wakeup

For me it helped alot to write all /proc/acpi/alarm actions to a
/home/mythtv/alarm.log log file by using >> instead of > so I can see
whenever the system shuts down and which values it used. I log the actions
from the halt script and the actions in my settime script for MythWelcome.

Martijn