[mythtv-users] Where to start?

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Tue Jan 9 02:10:17 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I'm new to MythTV and based in the UK. I've been reading around it for
the last couple of weeks, but have a lot of questions. I'll list my
hardware first, then what I'm trying to achieve.

I have my old PC:
AMD Athlon 120MHz processor
512 DIMM memory
KT7-Raid motherboard
USB2 additional ports card
ATI All in Wonder 128 Pro graphics card (I read somewhere that this
can't be used with Myth. Not sure if that just meant as a tuner, or as
neither a tuner or TV out)

Here's what I would like to achieve if possible:
-Media Centre (obviously)
-Freeview (UK) TV channels - I've not currently got Freeview, just the
normal 5 channels.
-Would like to be able to plan and record at the same time, but one at a
time would be fine for now if it's relatively painless to add an extra
tuner down the line.
-I want to use this with a Projector (don't have one yet .. not sure
what to get yet. Thought I'd wait until the box was doing what I wanted
first)
-I don't think I need HD, as the projector will just be in our front
room. Only 8-10 feet away.
-I would like the entire system to be run in the one box and probably
based around Ubuntu (KnoppMyth doesn't like my hard drive being
connected to the raid port on my motherboard)
-I'd like this PC to be the family PC, so ideally email and web browsing
should be pleasant to use. I guess this would just mean using Ubuntu
with the projector? Should I/Could I use a higher resolution for email
etc on the big screen. I've seen friends projectors (running window)
have very small type.

Ok, that should do for my list of demand :-)
Now for the questions.
I'm really quite lost when it comes to TV tuners, and the output.
I've been reading lots saying that the Hauppauge PVR 150, 350, 500 cards
are great. But then I read (here
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/compare_products.html) that
they are analogue. Does that mean those cards are no good if I want
freeview and are only good for the 5 main channels? Doesn't sound too
great, but maybe they make more sense for the American system?
Also, the output.
Can my ATI All in Wonder Pro do the output? What kind of output do I
need? Is it different if I use a projector? Different if I'd like higher
res graphics when emailing etc using the projector?

Phew,
Sorry that's such a lot, but that's all of my ponderings over the last
few weeks condensed into one email.
I'm basically just trying to get my shopping list ready so that I can
start playing.
Oh yes, is my system going to be up to the task is the other thing? I'd
really rather not have to upgrade it all. I'll rethink if this is all
such a good idea at the moment if that's the case. I'm happy to buy a
couple of tuners and whatever TV/Projector out I need.

Looking forward to hearing the replys
Damian