[mythtv-users] My FIOS TV experiences

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:55:14 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> says:
> > In any case, the guy I talked to in technical support at Verizon agreed
> with
> > me that none of those channels should be encrypted (after he put me on
> hold
> > for a few minutes, presumably talking with a supervisor) and said
> they're
> > going to look into fixing the problem and would give me a call back.
>
> Good luck in getting unencrypted access to the OTA HD channels.

Of the approx. 15 OTA HD channels in my program guide, 5 are encrypted and
the rest are not.  I guess we'll see how lucky I am when they call me back
:)

Meanwhile, I have a question on something else you wrote in your
> initial message:
>
>         The rest have these flags set to 0 and test-mpeg2 has no
>         problem.
>
> Does "rest" include HD premium movie channels like HBO and Showtime?
> If so, that'd certainly be a godsend to all who can subscribe to
> Verizon FIOS!

Sorry, no - all the HD digital channels are encrypted except for the OTA
stuff (except as noted).  I didn't check every SD digital channel, but of
the ones I checked, they were encrypted.  I don't subscribe to premium movie
channels, but I'd suspect they're encrypted, since things like ESPN-HD,
Discovery-HD, etc are.

-Jerry