[mythtv-users] XvMC on NVidia with Myth .20 (Anyonegetting goodHD off a P4 3

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 8 17:13:29 UTC 2007

Drew Bernat wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2007, at 9:41 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I'm having good luck now with XvMC and HDTV, but _horrible_ performance
> with SD. Now that's a reversal.
>
> I've got a 6150 GPU and an Athlon 3000+. Output is via SVideo to a
> standard CRT - no HDTV for me. I can get perfect playback /w/ Bob and
> XvMC on an HDTV signal (PCHDTV 5500) but if I play back an SD recording
> (Hauppauge PVR-500) I get prebuffering pauses like crazy. Has anyone
> seen this, and better, does anyone have a solution?

If you are using S-video for output to a CRT, I doubt that you are
actually getting an 'HD' level signal. You are likely dealing with a
digital SD level signal (which is quite a different thing). Good that
you can get digital output. Weird that you are getting problems with a
PVR doing analog SD signals.

Have you tried setting your output to an NTSC (or PAL) standard output?
The buffer pauses may be the result of the system trying to change
resolution on the output signal, and not succeeding gracefully.

Jarod Wilson's site has the steps and tests to check out your setup.
For me, the PVR-500 'just worked'. It was lirc and the digital side
which were the problem....

Geoff