[mythtv-users] Am I on the right list?

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Sun Jan 7 09:20:12 UTC 2007

F Peeters (MythTV) wrote:
> On Sun, January 7, 2007 00:00, Damian Surr wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Excuse my ignorance, but I'm looking for a good place for a complete
>> newbie to find out how best to go about setting up a MythTV box in the UK.
>> How much of a newbie? I'm writing this from windows :-)
>>
>> I have some experience of a couple of Linux, mainly Ubuntu, but am not
>> able to make the switch as my work requires me to use a Windows only app
>> 90% of the time.
>>
>> Anyway, enough rambling.
>> I just have a few questions to start with about what hardware I should
>> be buying for transforming an old'ish machine into a Freeview type
>> wonder box in the UK. But I'll make sure I'm in the right place first. I
>> don't know if this is mainly an American board.
>>
>> If I'm in the wrong place, could someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Damian
>>

> As MythTV is for a major part a US project, there is a major contingent of
> Americans on this list. However us Europeans are well represented as well!
>
> People here are willing to help, as long as you give sufficient
> information and show that you've put in reasonable effort to find a
> solution yourself...
>
> Ubuntu is a good start for MythTV beginners, however if you're also a
> Linux 'n00b' (as you put it yourself), a distro like MythDora or KnoppMyth
> may be better suited...
>
> There's tons of info out there. You can begin with searching the list
> archives... There's a lot of info on the hardware being used...
>
> Anyway, welcome to the MythTV community and have fun!   ;-)

Thanks F Peeters

I've tried KnoppMyth too, but it wouldn't install on my system. I think
it's because of the Highpoint drivers required by my motherboard as for
as I can tell, and KnoppMyth doesn't seem to support that at the moment.

I'll type out my current hardware and what I'm trying to achieve with my

Best wishes
Damian