[mythtv-users] XvMC on NVidia with Myth .20

Billy Macdonald whmac33 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 6 05:29:46 UTC 2007

--- Billy Macdonald <whmac33 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      For Christmas I bought myself my first HD tuner.  It's a USB tuner
> Hauppauge HVR 950.  I built a separate backend and have successfully
> configured it and have made a few test OTA recordings.
>
>      My frontend is a P4 1.6Ghz machine, so I definitely need XvMC for any
> hope.  I have the binary NVidia drivers, version 9631 installed and am
> currently running at a 1280x720 resolution.  I've had no luck trying to get
> XvMC to work in Myth.  I'm thinking next of trying the SVN versions, although
> I really don't want to mess with my backends.  Will I cause problems running
> the current SVN on the frontend but .20 stock on the backends?
>
>    I just noticed the release-20-fixes in SVN.  I think I'll give that a
> shot.
>
> As to what I've tried so far:
> XvMC works in Xine.  If I do an strace of Xine, I see it load the libXvMCW
> wrapper, read the /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file, and then load the
> libXvMCNVIDIA_dyanmic.so.1 file.  In Xine I can play my new HD recordings
> without studder or any other problems, both 1080i or 720p.  So I'm fairly
> confident that the NVidia stuff is setup right.
>
> ./configure --enable-xvmc
> Set the options to Standard XvMC, tried with various and no deinterlacing
> options.
> strace shows mythfrontend loading the XvMCW wrapper, but never even attempts
> to read the XvMCConfig file or load the Nvidia library.  The OSD display is
> gray so it's using some sort of XvMC, just not NVidia's I don't think.
>
> ./configure --enable-xvmc --disable-xvmcw
> It shows that it's linking to XvMCNVIDIA in the make output, but when all is
> said and done, ldd of mythfrontend does not show it linked to the library.
> strace fails to show any attempts to load the XvMCNVIDIA library.
>

> A bunch of other stuff has been tried too, but I had to stop messing around
> as my wife wanted to actually use the Myth box :)  But I was having fun
> tinkering.
>   I've tried various changes in nvidia-settings and xorg.conf, but since myth
> isn't even trying to use the driver, I don't think anything else really
> matters.
>
> And thanks for everything to all of you who do so much.  We love the MythTV.
>
> Billy

Progress!!!!
I'm using .20-fixes from svn, although I have a feeling the same thing would
have worked with stock .20.

So I'm sitting here trying different things and I think to myself, "let me at
least accomplish something."  I go to http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC
and enter the database entry for color OSD. ( I have an MX440 )

So I check to see if it works, and the OSD is in color.  So I check to see if
it works in HD, and the playback is smooth!!! (& OSD is in color)

In the logs I'm getting some " NVP: prebuffering pause" statements though, and
the audio does gitter sometimes, so I have to work on that, but I'm glad to say
I've made some progress.

Well, I've lost the TV for the night... more to come another day.

Billy