[mythtv-users] XvMC on NVidia with Myth .20

Billy Macdonald whmac33 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 05:06:08 UTC 2007

--- "R. G. Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Billy Macdonald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >      For Christmas I bought myself my first HD tuner.  It's a USB tuner
> Hauppauge HVR 950.  I built a separate backend and have successfully
> configured it and have made a few test OTA recordings.
> >

> I'd like to diverge from your XvMC problem to ask you exactly which
> driver/module you used, and how you set up your 950?
>
> What if any lines did you add to modprobe.conf?
>
> Where did the hardware show up in /dev?
>
> What tuner type did you select in mythtv-setup?
>

> Geoff

It's setup as a "DVB DVT capture card (v3.x)" in mythtv-setup.  I never looked
to see where it showed up in /dev to be honest as I never needed that, it just
shows card number 0.  There is a /dev/video0, but I think that is for analog,
not HD.  The built in scan in mythtv-setup was able to find all the local OTA
channels.  I haven't tried QAM (can't even recall if that's a feature :) )

The kernel I'm using is the updated kernel available in Fedora 6,
2.6.18-1.2868.fc6

To get the drivers working I used the v4l-dvb-kernel & dvb-apps trees from
www.linuxtv.org.  There is install instructions on this Wiki
http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Em2880   I think I used the
firmware_v4 for this device.

Nothing in modprobe.conf but I put this fill in place so that Fedora would load
the dvb module at boot

cat /etc/sysconfig/modules/vl4.modules
#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe em2880-dvb

My test records seem to be fine, but since I haven't gotten the playback quite
right, I don't know if it is consistent.  Keeping fingers crossed that I'll be
able to provide an update on that soon :)

Billy