[mythtv-users] XvMC on NVidia with Myth .20 (Anyonegetting goodHD off a P4 3

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 21:58:47 UTC 2007

> > On a slightly different topic, is anyone getting good quality HD
> > playback *without* XVMC on a P4 3.2 Ghz or less?  If so, do you have
> > HT enabled or disabled? (I've tried both). I thought this should
> > have worked. I think my limiting factor is the PCI video card, but
> > that's all my MB has.  I think the on-board video is AGP, but it's
>

>You will probably not be able to get good playback on a 3.2 GHz P4.
>I tried for many months and it never worked well enough.  I was
>deinterlacing to 720p, which adds some CPU load.
>
>You really want a dual core CPU.  I switched to an x2 3800 and it
>was significantly better.  X and MythTV both are working hard, so
>dual core helps quite a bit.
>
>Mark

That CPU should work without XvMC.  For reference I have an Athlon 64 3200+
and I get ~40% idle while watching 720p and 1080i with Bob.  I scale all
output to 720p and I'm currently running SVN from about 2 weeks ago.

Of course it took a lot of tweaking to my setup and specifically my modeline
to get where I am.  That, plus the new nvidia driver with UseEvents enabled.

I too was thinking about upgrading to dual core, but with the new driver and
modeline I'm using, my system has been rock solid for a couple weeks now.
HD has never looked so good.

Jake