[mythtv-users] XvMC on NVidia with Myth .20 (Anyonegetting good HD off a P4 3.2G or less without XVMC?)

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Fri Jan 5 21:41:57 UTC 2007

> On a slightly different topic, is anyone getting good quality HD
> playback *without* XVMC on a P4 3.2 Ghz or less?  If so, do you have
> HT enabled or disabled? (I've tried both). I thought this should
> have worked. I think my limiting factor is the PCI video card, but
> that's all my MB has.  I think the on-board video is AGP, but it's

You will probably not be able to get good playback on a 3.2 GHz P4.
I tried for many months and it never worked well enough.  I was
deinterlacing to 720p, which adds some CPU load.

You really want a dual core CPU.  I switched to an x2 3800 and it
was significantly better.  X and MythTV both are working hard, so
dual core helps quite a bit.

Mark