[mythtv-users] lirc issues after vacation

Davey McWatters daveyiv at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 5 18:41:42 UTC 2007

Jordan Roth wrote:
> I had a similar problem.  I would recomend making sure it starts as a
> service and then checking" irw " from a terminal session.  If that
> gives a response when you push buttons on the remote, then check to
> make sure the lircrc.txt file is in the right place.  i had mine in
> the root users home when it should be in the mythtv users home
> directory.  so mythtv only responded to remote control commands when i
> ran mythtv as root.  so i jsut copied the file to the corresponding
> mythtv users home .  try starting mythtv as root and see if your
> remote works.  if it does then it is jsut a matter of permissions or
> simple copying the lircrc file to the right place.
>
>     --
>
>     Message: 12
>     Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:25:40 +0100
>     From: Fred Clausen <fred at derf.nl <mailto:fred at derf.nl>>
>     Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] lirc issues after vacation
>     To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>     <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Davey McWatters wrote:
>     > Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>     >> On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:13 PM, Davey McWatters wrote:
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>>> On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:07 PM, Davey McWatters wrote:
>     >>>>
>     >>>> Are you sure you have the correct kernel module installed? Your
>     >>>> kernel might have updated and when you rebooted, you didn't
>     have the
>     >>>> lirc-kmdl installed for that kernel.
>     >>>>
>     >>
>     > I'm using ubuntu edgy, and don't have a yum. I tried it with
>     apt-get and
>     > I guess the ubuntu repository doesn't have lirc-kmdl for my kernel
>     > verison. It says
>     >
>     > E: Couldn't find package lirc-kmdl-2.6.17-10-generic
>     >
>     > Any more ideas?
>
>     I really believe that the problem lies with the fact that you
>     don't have
>     the appropriate kernel module loaded, try:
>
>     # modinfo lirc_i2c
>
>     and see if any info is printed. You can also try:
>
>     # modprobe lirc_i2c
>
>     and see if that works. Chances are that you had the correct module
>     before you updated your system but now the kernel module package
>     has not
>     been update but your kernel has. But I don't how the lirc kernel
>     modules
>     are packaged in Ubuntu. From some light googling, it seems you have to
>     compile the drivers from source.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Fred.
>

>     ------------------------------
>
>     Message: 13
>     Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:31:37 -0500
>     From: Davey McWatters <daveyiv at adelphia.net
> [...]

Well, I tried reinstalling it again and lirc will now run using the
command, but it will close whenever I execute irw.

mythtv at spork:/dev$ sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start
Starting lirc daemon: lircd.
mythtv at spork:/dev$ ps ax | grep lirc
 1717 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/lircd --device=/dev/lirc
 1747 pts/0    R+     0:00 grep lirc
mythtv at spork:/dev$ irw
mythtv at spork:/dev$ ps ax | grep lirc
 1760 pts/0    R+     0:00 grep lirc

Also dmesg is listing the following:

[   49.632097] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
[   49.641674] lirc_i2c: no version for "lirc_unregister_plugin" found:
kernel tainted.

If I do a

ls /dev/lirc*

all it returns is