[mythtv-users] VGA to component cables

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at me.vt.edu
Fri Jan 5 14:02:32 UTC 2007

> [1] <http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/2M-6FT-ATLONA-HIGH-QUALITY-
> VGA-TO-COMPONENT-VIDEO-BREAKOUT-CABLE-p-16189.html>
>
> I think other posters have also conjectured that such a cheap cable
> surely has no electronics in it to convert from RGB to YPbPr, and is
> surely:
> 1) Mis-labelled on the website.
> 2) Actually outputting RGB.

 	This is the actual case:
   No electronics, simply breakout cable for the Red/Green/Blue output
D/A's and video amps on the video card to connect to RCA connectors.  The
video card and *driver* for the card then simply outputs color-transformed
data (Y, Pb, Pr) out the R, G, B channels... plus adds a "sync-on-Y"

 	The card and driver must support this functionality.  I do not
know if anything other than ATI does or whether or not linux drivers
support it.

-Cory