[mythtv-users] Encrypted HD channels

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:19:11 UTC 2007

> On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > >
> > > You have some good points. Unfortunately the only HD I have access to
> > > is DISH or the single off-air channel here, which is mostly
> > > upconverted SD with a crappy encoder.
> >
> > in theory, it should work for the DISH boxes too, if they downconvert
> > HD to output through their S-Video port.
>
> I'll have to try it. I disabled the HD channels on datadirect. I use
> a separate SD-only receiver to feed my Myth system since the SD
> channel of my main receiver is tied up since my Mom found the
> Metropolitan Opera channel on the Sirius stations.
>
> > > I've no experience with the Motorola DCT boxes, but what you say
> > > makes some sense.
> >
> > I hope so, its why I have the encrypted HD channels enabled on my
> > PVR-150 zap2it listing =)
> >
> > > I'm building a test machine with an HD-3000 card in it to see what if
> > > anything I can get as unencrypted QAM from the cable.
> >
> > most likely just the local OTA in your market. From what I've seen the
> > cable company's are starting to enable/pass the 5C signal to the cable
> > boxes these last few months.
>
> Actually it looks like I'm getting TNT and Discovery in HD
> unencrypted, and perhaps some more. I need to talk to the cable
> company, as I think receiving those channels without paying is called
> "stealing" :-)

Most cable company's have those channels on their HD tier, though 5C
DRM'd (encrypted). From what I can tell, if they don't use encryption
then they just send the signal out in the clear and use their cable
box to control whether that person gets it, forgetting that many
people have ATSC tuners capable of receiving the channel.

My point of view on it is, if you can get it without anything that
would go against the DMCA then its not stealing, taking advantage of
sure, but not stealing.

> >> There is actually a 6-cylinder 914 in the local paper here, I might
> >> even go look at it, but...
> >
> > thats the Porsche 914/16 variant, it uses a true Porsche engine.
> > Either way I was never a big fan of that body even though its sort of
> > the grandfather to my favorite Porsche, the Boxster S ;-)
>
> It would be fun, but not very practical I'm afraid :-( Now if I could
> find an old 911 at a decent price...

I've got an heavily tuned A4 Avant for practical, I want the Boxster
for fun ;-) (not that I drive much, few times a month, god bless small
cities and public transportation =)

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!