[mythtv-users] Adding storage (slightly OT)

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 3 21:03:17 UTC 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 16:05, Torbjørn Heltne wrote:

> I have a single ATA HDD in my BE which is partitioned and formatted
> like
> this
> <url:http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#sw>
> and I need to add some more storage in the near future.
>
> I seem to get a better space/price ratio by buying SATA drives these
> days, but will I be facing problems if I try to set up a LVM across a
> combination of ATA and SATA drives?

That is no problem.

If you have not used LVM before then you can easily create a volume-
group with the new drive, copy everything from /video across there,
unmount /video and remount the new volume group at that mount point,
then format /dev/hda5 (the old /video) as a LVM block device and then
add it to the volume group. I found the LVM HOWTO very helpful in
this regard.

As others have mentioned, Myth's own storage groups are better, if
you're using a version of Myth that supports them.

Stroller.