[mythtv-users] HDHR QAM: Streams ok to VLC but not Mythtv

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 21:41:57 UTC 2007

On 1/2/07, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/2/07, P S <guierrmo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using and HDHomerun to tune QAM256 on comcast.  Most channels are
> > fine but there are a few that will tune and lock but will not display
> > in live TV or recorded programs.  Xine will play, but there is not
> > audio.
> >
> > I'm running trunk svn 12306.
> >
> > These channels work fine streaming straight to VLC.
> >
> > I can make this recording available is needed.
> >

> I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you that I posted a similar
> question to the list back in May and never got a response.  Back then I was
> running 0.19, and trying to tune QAM256 channels from Comcast, connected to
> a HD-3000 card.  I had a bunch of channels that I could tune and watch with
> mplayer, but had no audio.  I added them to my Myth channel lineup, but
> couldn't get them to work.  The one difference, at least from the sounds of
> your description, is that within Myth I would get a strong signal strength,
> but only a partial lock (status LAm instead of LAM).  Shortly after I posted
> the question I seemed to lose access to the one channel I was most
> interested in, so I kind of lost interest in finding a solution.  I do still
> have the channels in my MythTV lineup and now running 0.20 from ATrpms, and
> they still don't work.
>
> I just purchased an HDHomerun yesterday, and I was curious whether or not I
> would be able to get these channels working.  I'd be interested to hear
> whether you, or anyone else finds a solution, or at least has an answer as
> to why they won't work with Myth.

In the configuration screen for your HDHR, *un*check the free-to-air only box.

I found that some of my QAM channels are setting the encrypted flag,
even when they are not actually encrypted.  If you have that box
checked, and Myth sees that flag, it will not even try to tune the
channel.  Daniel fixed it so Myth would try to tune the channel even
with the encrypted flag, if you uncheck that box.

John