[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause on Frontend playing back BBC HD

Mike Choy mike at acaciaclose.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 17:02:17 UTC 2007

Hi Chris

Just to add some more data points..

I've just built a amd 4200 X2 with 1GIG on asrock motherboard using suse
10.2 and packman rpms. The asrock has an on board Nvidia gforce 6100
GPU, but uses shared memory. On playing BBC HD in the UK (h.264 based
stream) I'm getting stutter and NVP prebuffering pause on running
mythfrontend. Have tried all permutations of XV, standard  mpeg decoders
, deinterlacing etc

I was under the impression also that playback should not be a problem.

I have recorded the stream and on playback it still stutters. Top shows
50.1% CPU utilization.

As this is a brand new rig  here is what I'm doing to try and trouble
shoot this. (any further hints and data points also welcome)

1. Have downloaded 720p and 1080p h.261 sample movies from  digital
digest (pirates of the Caribbean)

http://www.digital-digest.com/movies/pirates_of_the_caribbean2_h264_1080p_trailer.html
    in Mplayer  top is showing 46%

2. Playing the above file under the internal video player is showing 46
to 49%.

3. Playing the recorded stream in Mplayer seems to be a bit better but
slow frame rate, but It is showing a lot of video corruption.  Also i'm
getting the error message "too many video packets in the buffer"
constantly, and Top shows 65% CPU.

4. I saw a post where the stutter NVP prebuffer pause was a result of
poor Aeriel, and I think this might be an issue as I suspect that HD is
more critical to the quality of the downlink. ( no problems with SD TV
payback on my system). Will try and use a better downlead as soon as I
can rig it up.

5. Has anyone got a BBC HD recording that is clean that I can download
to test the system with?

Mike C
http://www.acaciaclose.co.uk
the home of openSUSE multimedia