[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's with DTS to x264 while retaining the DTS in sync

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 18:08:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 09:37:55PM -0500, Kevin Ould wrote:
> [ ... ]
> Digital track. My problem lies with DTS audio. I have attemtped a
> rip using various settings but all my attempts have resulted in
> sound that is pretty far out of sync. It seems to start out
> relatively in sync but quickly goes out of sync and it seems to
> get progressively worse as the movie goes on. By
> [ ... ]

I'm not sure if my source audio is necessarily DTS or not.  However,
I am having significant troubles getting consistently good, properly
sync'ed rips.

I don't have anything in particular to offer, except the threads
I've started elsewhere trying to figure this out:

    Doom9's Forum: "mencoder, x264, vorbis, matroska - bad a/v sync
    problems"
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=122018

    mplayer-users: "mencoder, x264, vorbis, matroska - bad a/v sync
    problems"
    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2007-February/065422.html

    mplayer-users: "mencoder + x264 + pullup, softskip = a/v sync
    problems"
    http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2007-February/065674.html

My latest experimentation has shown me two things:

    (1) some of my *source* material appears to be out of sync
    (2) using bframes=0 in -x264encopts seems to help or all
        together eliminate the sync problems (at a definite hit to
        quality, though)

Hope this helps.  Please report back if you make any progress!

Matt