[mythtv-users] Inconsistent program naming in EIT guide on FreeView (UK DVB)

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:38:49 UTC 2007

On 27/02/07, junk <junk at giantblob.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I wonder if you're having more luck because of the guide you're
> using or the type of scheduling. Does the 'find and record one showing
> of this title each week' setting, simple ignore the extended program
> description and assume all showings in a given week are the same episode
> or is it more intelligent than that?

(I think) you need to acquaint yourself with how MythTV matches
duplicates. When scheduling a recording, you can opt for no dupe
matching, use the subtitle, use the description, use both subtitle and
description, or (in latest SVN) use subtitle then description. The
dupe checking alone should ensure you do not get (excessive) multiple
copies of the same episode of a series. How well this works obviously
depends on how accurately data for subsequent showings matches. In my
experience of the RT grabber, it works pretty well.

What dupe checking are you currently using for Ugly Betty?

Checking my current RT data for Ugly Betty, all of the
titles/subtitles (except for episode shown during T4 on Sunday) and
descriptions (except for reviewed episodes) match across repeated
showings. This enables the scheduler to intelligently identify which
episodes are 'the same' even across channels and should results on
only one recording of an episode.

> FWIW, I noticed, browsing through the Myth sources, that the EIT guide
> scanner scanner goes to some lengths to match duplicate programs in the
> face of inconsistent guide data - it seems to score programs based on a
> count of words in common between the two showings - but the recording
> scheduler does a dumb textural compare. (specifcially eit.cpp,
> score_match() versus ProgramInfo::IsSameProgram()). Can any of the
> developers comment on why this is done differently and whether the
> scheduler would benefit from using the same heuristic?

Not a developer, but for interest there is also a new technique for
EIT data whereby programid/seriesid which are broadcast in the EIT
data can be used for program identification and duplicate detection
(see http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2811).

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: