[mythtv-users] problems with mythtv

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 18:12:27 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Peter Abplanalp <pta-myth at psaconsultants.com> wrote:

> ----- "Jared Greenwald" <greenwaldjared at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Err...  That solved the Live TV problem, but not the problems
> > with ripping/playback.  Of note was that the movie I was
> > originally experimenting with is my daugher's Cinderella III movie.
> > The problem I encountered with ripping the iso was with The
> > Prestige - also note that I couldn't rip a "perfect" transcoded
> > copy either (the rip timer just starts getting exponentially big).
>
> i'm having the same problem with pirates of the caribean II.  the mtd
> says something like "...but wrote 0 bytes...coincidence...".  i'm not
> at home at the moment so i don't know the exact message.  i haven't had
> a chance to mess with it much so i don't know what the issue is but
> the timer does get very big.  just another data point.
>
> i don't think it is an encryption issue as the dvd plays fine.  i'm using
> the myth rpms from at from about a week ag0 or so.
>
> --
> Peter Abplanalp

I'm not sure about these specific titles, but there are new schemes
that are being used to foil DVD rips, like putting in bad sectors and
so forth.  Arccos and something else.  Search the list for a
command-line for dumping these out with vlc.  Supposedly this works
with anything it can play (which should be basically all movies).