[mythtv-users] WriteAudio: buffer underruns without prebuffering pauses (SOLVED - almost)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 15:29:19 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  adeffs.mythtv at gmail wrote:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV#NVIDIA
> > take note of the 9xxx series driver stuff
>
> Before you asked, I thought I was running a 9xxx driver.  When I
> looked both the 8776 and 9734 were installed, but the 8776 was loaded.
>
> Last night, I switched to the 9734 driver.  My xorg.conf file already
> had UseEvents on.
>
> Then I tested my sample video.  It ran perfect - as it had in my last
> test. But the CPU load dropped from 95+% to around 65%.  WOW!
>
> Then I tried my Fifth Element recording.  Now it plays for long
> periods without a problem.  But it still experiences significant
> prebuffering pauses from time to time.  The CPU load styed around 65%
> when playing this as well.
>
> The difference in the drivers is quite dramatic. Thanks for the tip.
>
> But I'd still like to solve my remaining prebuffering pause problem.
> It no longer appears that throwing more CPU power at the problem will
> be successful.  (Darn, I had spec'd out a really nice replacement
> box.)
>
> So, if the CPU load is not causing prebuffering pauses, what else
> could be the culprit?

make sure your NVAGP setting is back to the default, and disable the
Aggressive sound card buffering (the regular extra audio buffering
should be enough).

What CPU do you have? When you get the prebuffer pauses do you notice
a large spike in CPU? or is it steadily high with the occasional jump
(like a 90% steady with a blip higher during a scene change or high
motion)?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!