[mythtv-users] WriteAudio: buffer underruns without prebuffering pauses (SOLVED - almost)

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:44:19 UTC 2007

 adeffs.mythtv at gmail wrote:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_HDTV#NVIDIA
> take note of the 9xxx series driver stuff

Before you asked, I thought I was running a 9xxx driver.  When I
looked both the 8776 and 9734 were installed, but the 8776 was loaded.

Last night, I switched to the 9734 driver.  My xorg.conf file already
had UseEvents on.

Then I tested my sample video.  It ran perfect - as it had in my last
test. But the CPU load dropped from 95+% to around 65%.  WOW!

Then I tried my Fifth Element recording.  Now it plays for long
periods without a problem.  But it still experiences significant
prebuffering pauses from time to time.  The CPU load styed around 65%
when playing this as well.

The difference in the drivers is quite dramatic. Thanks for the tip.

But I'd still like to solve my remaining prebuffering pause problem.
It no longer appears that throwing more CPU power at the problem will
be successful.  (Darn, I had spec'd out a really nice replacement
box.)

So, if the CPU load is not causing prebuffering pauses, what else
could be the culprit?

Tom