[mythtv-users] backend power

Josh TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com
Mon Feb 19 22:17:00 UTC 2007

Jared Greenwald wrote:
> I seem to be a little confused about how this whole backend/frontend
> thing works.
>
> I'd like to be able to keep all of my media up on the backend.  This
> includes transcoded DVD movies, music, and tv shows.  It doesn't seem
> to be setup this way.  Ultimately, I'd like to setup a single backend
> machine with multiple frontend machines.  I'd like all of the media
> files to reside on the backend so that they can be played on any of
> the frontend machines.
>
> I'm playing with a test setup at the moment with a backend and
> separate frontend machine and when I attempt to rip a DVD, it seems to
> just plop the resulting files on the local frontend's disk.
>
> Also, same with mp3s/music files.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  How would I be able to set this up such that
> everything is shared.
>
> Thanks,
> Jared

Personally, I use NFS shares to map everything back to my backend
server, including channel icons and movie posters... this allows me to
set each frontend to map music, video, recorded shows, and pictures to
the exact same path (for simplicity of management) back to the backend
server. I have a frontend setup on my backend machine simply so that I
can rip music and movies at the console  because I find it to be faster
then doing it through a frontend box over the network... I also have all
of my tuner cards crammed into my backend server... you can just as
easily have each frontend record shows but I prefer to have everything
in one place so that when something fails on my backend it causes my
entire Myth Universe to crash. One of these days I'll take the time and
money to move my 2TB SATA LVM to a RAID configuration.

Either way, it's entirely possible to share all data to all frontends,
just use NFS shares.

---
Josh