[mythtv-users] MythIPTV Beta 2

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Feb 19 22:12:42 UTC 2007

ryan patterson wrote:
> I respectfully suggest you find a different name for your project.  The
> acronym IPTV is already well established.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iptv  Your project has nothing to do with
> IPTV.  Don't get me wrong, I think your idea is neat and I am going to
> download your code and try it out.  But the name MythIPTV will confuse a
> lot of people.

Having skimmed that Wikipedia page, I think I should clarify.

The confusion here is deliberate.

The script as it stands now came out of mediation on the new Akimbo
service, which is kind of like a MythTV with shows being downloaded over
the network instead of being recorded from a tuner.

The meditation resulted in the following conclusion -- that IPTV is a
way of delivering programs over a network connection, and that the
mechanism for doing so is irrelevant. In the case of MythIPTV that
mechanism is RSS / ATOM feeds.

(Thinking along these lines is interesting. Assuming that companies like
Akimbo can deal with their content licensing, they're cost of
implementation is so much lower than satellite / cable that they have to
be cheaper...)

So, to follow the Akimbo example, I could completely implement an
Akimbo-like service on top of MythTV by:

 - providing an RSS feed per customer, which lists the shows they have
requested
 - running MythIPTV on their local MythTV machine
 - using MythTV as a display interface

So, why not just give up on "Video blogging" as a term, and just call it
yet another form of IPTV? If "real" IPTV services like Akimbo would like
to publish an API that MythIPTV can use, I would happily implement their
services as well.

Mikal