[mythtv-users] backend power

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Feb 19 22:12:39 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Jared Greenwald wrote:

> I seem to be a little confused about how this whole backend/
> frontend thing works.
>
> I'd like to be able to keep all of my media up on the backend.
> This includes transcoded DVD movies, music, and tv shows.  It
> doesn't seem to be setup this way.  Ultimately, I'd like to setup a
> single backend machine with multiple frontend machines.  I'd like
> all of the media files to reside on the backend so that they can be
> played on any of the frontend machines.
>
> I'm playing with a test setup at the moment with a backend and
> separate frontend machine and when I attempt to rip a DVD, it seems
> to just plop the resulting files on the local frontend's disk.
>
> Also, same with mp3s/music files.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  How would I be able to set this up such
> that everything is shared.

TV Recordings are managed by the backend, but movies and music are
front-end plugins. To make them share across all machines, you have
to set up shares on your drive. You can use Samba or NFS to share the
directories from your backend and mount them to the same path on your
frontend so the same paths work on all of your machines. I found NFS
easy and the defaults gave me good throughput.