[mythtv-users] backend power

Jared Greenwald greenwaldjared at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:58:14 UTC 2007

I seem to be a little confused about how this whole backend/frontend thing
works.

I'd like to be able to keep all of my media up on the backend.  This
includes transcoded DVD movies, music, and tv shows.  It doesn't seem to be
setup this way.  Ultimately, I'd like to setup a single backend machine with
multiple frontend machines.  I'd like all of the media files to reside on
the backend so that they can be played on any of the frontend machines.

I'm playing with a test setup at the moment with a backend and separate
frontend machine and when I attempt to rip a DVD, it seems to just plop the
resulting files on the local frontend's disk.

Also, same with mp3s/music files.

Has anyone tried this?  How would I be able to set this up such that
everything is shared.

Thanks,
Jared