[mythtv-users] Crossing the pond

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Mon Feb 19 15:48:46 UTC 2007

OK, so I've got a MythTV box set up in the US.  I have also just received
a Swedish residence permit and am interviewing with a major tech corp
which, if they ultimately make me an offer, has agreed to send me to
either their Swiss or Irish data center.  So, one way or another, I'm
going to be moving to Europe within probably 6 months, quite possibly
less, and I'd like to be running MythTV there shortly after my arrival.

I assume it's going to be less hassle to take my existing MythTV box
with me than it would be to build a new one, but, if I'm wrong, feel
free to correct me (preferably with an explanation of why I'm wrong).

I know that bringing it with me would require updating my X config to set
the TV-out to PAL instead of NTSC.  I've also heard that Swedish TV is
going to digital-only by the end of this year, which I assume means I'll
want to replace my PVR-500, but I have no idea what to replace it with.
(No need for any replacement to be dual-tuner, though; I've only ever
used one tuner on my existing card.)  I haven't yet looked into the
status of analog vs. digital TV in Switzerland or Ireland.

Are there any other issues/differences I should be aware of with respect
to running Myth in Europe vs. the US?

--
Windows Vista must be the first OS in history to have error codes for things
like "display quality too high"