[mythtv-users] Crossing the pond

Mark Levitt melevittfl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:15:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 09:48:46AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> I know that bringing it with me would require updating my X config to set
> the TV-out to PAL instead of NTSC.  I've also heard that Swedish TV is

> used one tuner on my existing card.)  I haven't yet looked into the
> status of analog vs. digital TV in Switzerland or Ireland.

Most modern TVs will accept and display an NTSC signal (at least here in the UK, I imagine other EU countries are the same?). However, as PAL is a "better" standard you might as well try it.

You'll almost certainly have to buy a new tuner card as you won't find NTSC broadcasts here. Don't know exactly what's common in Sweden or Ireland, but for digital I think it'll be DVB.

Also, remember to check the voltage switch on the PSU! If it doesn't automatically accept 240 volts, remember to change it. My advice is to set it to the correct voltage just before you pack it in the box. That way, you won't forget and blow your PSU in the excitement of setting up all your gear.

Cheers,
Mark