[mythtv-users] Second person with saa7134 fast playback

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Mon Feb 19 08:50:08 UTC 2007

I see just last month someone else is having the same problem as I. I don't
see a solution, but perhaps I can add some information.

Like Justin, I'm running MythTV under Fedora 6, with an saa7134 card (MSI
TV at anywhere Plus). Video works fine with TVtime and passthrough, and I can
record audio directly from the saa7134 via
   arecord -D hw:1,0 -r 32000 -c 2 -f S16_LE

However, setting mythbackend to use /dev/dsp1 (which should correspond to
hw:1,0) TV playback is at the wrong bitrate (high-pitched and choppy to the
ear), even with the max bitrate set to 32000 .

If I understand all I have read, mythfrontend can be set to do ALSA output
directly by setting it to use ALSA:hw:0,0  however, the backend can not and
must use /dev/dsp1 (and when I put ALSA:hw:1,0 in it doesn't stay as a
setting).

While searching for a solution, I also saw the posts concerning using the
alsa-kmdl and alsa-driver packages. I was using the latest stock kernel
drivers for these results (kernel-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6). Installing
alsa-kmdl-2.6.19-1.2911 and following the wiki fix resulted in /dev/dsp and
/dev/dsp1 not being created at all.

Justin, if you are reading this, have you installed the alsa-kmdl RPMs ?

Is there something in the alds-kmdl/alsa-drivers that isn't included in the
stock kernel that is needed, or is it just a newer version ? If not, where
else can we look ?