[mythtv-users] remote control recommendation

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 18 01:30:22 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 15:56, Nate Crosno wrote:
> > Any recommendations?
>
> Check out JP1 Remotes. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/
> The one I have is the older 6131 and was less than $30 with priority
> shipping. It's OFA's Tivo replacement model that has been modified to add a
> JP1 interface. This particular model is not a learning remote, but you can
> download hundreds of code sets online (just like setting up lirc). There
> are other models that also include learning functionality. In my
> experience, the learned codes are much less reliable with lirc.

FWIW, I've got the same model remote (the 6131) and it works fine with MythTV,
in my case emulating a Lite-On infrared keyboard. I had to download the
keyboard definition files, sift through the MythTV keyboard command
assignments, assign keyboard key equivalents to my remote buttons in the JP1
software, and tweak a few MythTV settings (to eliminate the need for multiple
keypresses for a few functions). I've also got an older learning JP1 remote
(a Cinema 7 model), so I can learn codes, decode them, and then program them
in the 6131. Sadly, the Cinema 7 is giving up the ghost -- a couple of keys
don't work reliably any more.

Programming a JP1 remote can be tedious, and you should plan to spend a couple
of hours reading documentation if you go this route. If you can set up a
MythTV system, though, JP1 remote programming won't be beyond your ken. If
you enjoy this sort of thing and/or want the cheapest programmable remote
available, a JP1 remote is a good bet. If you'd prefer to spend less time
futzing with the remote, a more expensive programmable model should be easier
to handle, but I have no specific recommendations on this score.

Oh, BTW, most JP1 remotes are sold (in the US, at least) under the One For All
and Radio Shack brands, but some are available under other brands. Some
remotes sold with other equipment are actually JP1 remotes. A few years ago I
had a Cox Cable remote that was really a JP1 remote, and my Sony SAT-T60
DirecTiVo uses a JP1 remote. (The famous TiVo "peanut" remotes aren't JP1
remotes, though; only Sony TiVos shipped with JP1 remotes.) Some One for All
and Radio Shack remotes lack the JP1 connector and associated hardware and so
need modifications before they can be programmed. Check the sites others have
referred to for details.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com