[mythtv-users] remote control recommendation

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 21:20:51 UTC 2007

On 2/16/07, Willy Boyd <willyboyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Joe Harvell <jharvell+lists.mythtv-users at dogpad.net> wrote:
> > I am looking for a remote control to use with my MythTV and A/V system.
> > I have an IRTrans Translator (http://www.irtrans.de/en), but I need a
> > remote.  I don't want to spend a lot of money, so a touch screen is not
> > what I'm looking for.  Here is what I *am* looking for in order of most
> > to least important.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
>
> Slightly less than the Harmony 880 is the Harmony 550, which I have.
> Go for whichever you can afford.  I've heard the 550 can sometimes be
> found for around $70.  Key differences: shape, regular batteries vs.
> recharging station, can program more devices.  But either one will let
> you create your own "soft buttons" with custom labels, learn any IR
> codes, and benefit from a well updated online database of codes for
> other devices.

I bought my parents the Harmony 670, it's priced in between the 880
and 550, uses batteries and has the Tivo-like shape of the 880.  I
have to say that I was very impressed with the remote.
Also, I have an all for one 8910, it has all the buttons and learning
capabilities that you're looking for.  It's also significantly cheaper
than the Harmony, though it's not nearly as nice.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.