[mythtv-users] Upscaling standalone DVD vs. MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Feb 16 19:46:23 UTC 2007

On 02/16/2007 02:15 PM, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:35:58PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> One other thing to consider is that MythTV has features that standalone DVD
>> players do not. Timestretch is an obvious example.
>>
> But one thing MythTV's DVD player does not have is the ability to change
> the output video signal between interlaced and progressive based on the
> source material.  I've wondered about that, since motion does seem to be
> not as smooth on DVDs played in MythTV compared to a standalone player.

MythTV's internal player does auto-detect interlaced content and only
performs deinterlacing when the content is, in fact, interlaced.  You
just turn on deinterlacing and Myth does the right thing.  (Really,
turning off deinterlacing is only to say, don't deinterlace interlaced
content and has no effect on progressive content.)

I'm pretty sure this is in 0.20-fixes, but I know it's in SVN trunk.

Mike