[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 22:31:18 UTC 2007

On 2/15/07, Richard Freeman <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> >
> > I've been using XFS on Linux for about 5 years now. The only
> > real shocker I had was when I first started using it on
> > Linux and had a crash. It zeroed out the files that were
> > opened at the time. But this is just how it works. I don't
> > use it for the root partition; I only use it for MythTV and
> > my development disk.
>
> I too was using xfs rather heavily and then heard about the
> zeroing-out-files design issue.  Within a few weeks I had migrated
> everything over to ext3 (including myth) - it took a while since I
> didn't have a ton of spare space (but lvm2 helped).
>
> On an ultra-reliable server attached to UPS maybe the extra performance
> associated with xfs would be nice, but in a home PC I really don't want
> the hassle of rebuilding stuff if files are open when the lights go out.
>  And ext3 has worked just fine for me - especially with the slow-delete
> feature.
>
> Just the same, I run gentoo on amd64 and haven't had any issues with xfs
> while I was using it.
>
> Honestly, unless you just have to have max performance on multimedia
> files I'd avoid xfs - it isn't much better than ext3 and the latter has
> much better all-around support.  And this is coming from somebody
> running 64-bit...

I'm sure I'm probably jinxing myself by writing this, but I've been
using XFS for over a year now, probably two, without a single problem.
 And this is in addition to having my entire entertainment center
plugged into one of those screwy outlets that has a wall switch --
yeah I know, long story.  But needless to say I've gotten the "lights
out" scenario more than a few times, and now problems whatsoever.  In
my gut I would trust ext3 more, but the blocking on delete was quite
annoying, and I set all this up way before the "slow delete" option in
Myth, which I've yet to try.  If it works well who knows I might
migrate back as well, but I'm in no rush since at least that _part_ of
my system has been rock solid.

- Willy