[mythtv-users] Internal DVD player layer change glitch?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 14 00:02:09 UTC 2007

On Feb 13, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Scott wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Scott wrote:
>
>> Greets.
>>
>> I'm using MythTV 0.20 fixes patch 12599 on Gentoo.  Lately I've been
>> trying out he Internal DVD player more and I've noticed a problem
>> with the layer change on several disks. During the layer change I see
>> the video slow or stutter slightly with no change in audio and then
>> lose Close Captions.
>>
>> Can anyone else confirm this behavior? I searched for known bugs on
>> this and didn't see one. I'm hoping someone else can confirm the
>> problem and offer suggestions on what information to gather before I
>> report it as a bug.
>

> Anyone ... ? FWIW, I see it on the ISO files I've ripped as well as
> DVD playback. In both cases I use the Internal player.

Most commercial DVDs that you purchase have warnings on the package
about "delays", glitches" and other "artifacts" which may occur at
layer change time.

I'm not sure of the details but I suspect it has as much to do with
the firmware in the drive itself as it does the software being used
to read from the drive.

Do the captions go away forever? Do they come back when you stop and
restart?

Does the problem occur with other playback software>

I suspect it is not a Myth problem, but rather a problem when using
Myth.