[mythtv-users] OSD position compensation with overscan

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:05:15 UTC 2007

I've searched around for a couple days and found nothing too relevant,
so forgive me if this one has been asked before.

I have to use a bit of vertical overscan to get the "edge static" on
my cable feed to hide (as I understand it, it's part of the feed that
has CC data and such).  This is because I'm using a 720p tv set with
1:1 mapping for my mythTV box.  Well, when I do this, the OSD I'm
using (Retro-OSD), moves up a bit, I'm assuming to compensate for the
overscan so no text gets cut off.  While this is good in theory, what
actually happens is it moves too far, leaving a visible space below
the OSD where the recording shows through.  When overscan is off, it
fits nicely again the bottom edge of my screen.  Not a huge deal just
a tad annoying, especially on bright scenes.  Is there a way to fix
this?  I'm guessing it's a theme edit, but I don't know where to start
there.  OR, am I going about the overscan issue the wrong way to get
rid of the unsightly static in the source?