[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

MythTV mythtv at taoyama.com
Tue Feb 13 06:45:57 UTC 2007

John,

A crazy thought based upon the comment about it only happening with
the HDHR.

Could it be RF interference with the HDHR?  If the HDHR is next to a
switch or other computing equipment they could be generating RF that
interferes with reception. (The system running IPCop would explain
why it only happens when the frontend is running.)

Also, a 100Mb network can become saturated with HD recording and
LiveTV.  An OTA channel can have up to 19Mbps and a cable channel can
be up to 38Mbps.  Now most broadcasts utilize a portion of that
channel for each stream and I believe that the HDHR uses HW PID
filtering so the entire transport stream is not sent.  If you do
happen to get to the 19Mbps stream and you are recording and watching
LiveTV your network would have to maintain a sustained 57Mbps.  Any
additional burst traffic or significant packet loss could cause issues.

Run ifconfig from the terminal and it should show you the network
stats including errors, dropped packets and overruns.

I have 2 HDHRs on a backend with 4 PVR-250s with 3 frontends all on a
gigabit network and I haven't had any issues.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

Mino