[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:03:43 UTC 2007

> Or maybe something with the HDD that the HDHR is streaming to? I'm
> not sure if bringing up the F/E would cause the B/E to hit the HDD at
> all. You may have been over it already but some hdparm -tT output on
> the B/E might be useful. Note that you could also try running hdparm -
> tT _while_ the HDHR is streaming to the HDD to see if you can trip it
> up. Do this test on the B/E local console to avoid influencing the
> network traffic.

Good thought.  I hadn't really been focusing on the HDD at all.  My only
question there would be if it is a hard drive issue wouldn't I see similar
problems when I record from the PVR-150 or (especially) the HD-3000?
Because I don't.  I've never seen any programs recorded from the two tuner
cards get corrupted, no matter what I did on the F/E.  The one difference is
that the HDHR is streaming over the network, which is why I was looking
toward the network.  I'll certainly do some hdparm tests though; it can't
hurt that's for sure.

If you after you stop the F/E does the video return to normal? Have
> you tried running mythtvbackend with "-v all", start a recording, and
> then fire up the F/E to see if any messages are logged? If nothing
> else this might give you a good idea of what the F/E and B/E are
> doing together that could lead resource starvation of the HDHR.

I've tried having the F/E running before a recording from the HDHR starts,
and in this case the recording gets corrupted right from the get go.  I've
also tried letting a recording go for a while and then firing up the F/E in
the middle of the recording.  In this case the beginning of the recording is
fine, but when I get to the spot when I turned on the F/E it goes bad.  I've
only done one small test of what you suggest; turning off the F/E after a
recording started and the recording did go back to normal after the F/E was
off.  I haven't tried turning up the debugging on the back end yet.  The
funny thing is when the recording is going bad I don't see anything special
in the logs, but when the commercial flagging processing the recording I get
literally thousands and thousands of messages in the log.  Here's just a
real small sample:
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]invalid cbp at 73 10
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]Warning MVs not available
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]ac-tex damaged at 38 56
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]Warning MVs not available
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]current_picture not initalized
2007-02-12 18:33:36.669 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]current_picture not initalized
2007-02-12 18:33:37.520 AFD Error: Unknown decoding error
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]mb incr damaged
[mpeg2video @ 0x4dc9c4]Warning MVs not available

Looking to the netowrk, with the HDHR the switch itself is usually
> the weak spot, as seen in the forums. Before helping diagnose network
> troubles a network diagram of switches, systems, and zones would be
> helpful.

I must have just been typing my response to the first reply when you posted
this message.  See my last message for a description of my network.

Thanks for your help.
John