[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Tue Feb 13 04:37:45 UTC 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 10:44 PM, Stroller wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2007, at 01:29, John Welch wrote:
>> ...  For my network setup I am using IPCop as a firewall, and have
>> the Myth B/E system and the HDHR in my DMZ network (orange network
>> in IPCop terms).  The F/E system is on my internal (green)
>> network.  This network setup has never caused me any issues with
>> MythTV or anything else.

Or maybe something with the HDD that the HDHR is streaming to? I'm
not sure if bringing up the F/E would cause the B/E to hit the HDD at
all. You may have been over it already but some hdparm -tT output on
the B/E might be useful. Note that you could also try running hdparm -
tT _while_ the HDHR is streaming to the HDD to see if you can trip it
up. Do this test on the B/E local console to avoid influencing the
network traffic.

>> Now on to the problem.  I can record content from the HDHR as long
>> as I don't do anything with Myth on my F/E system while the
>> recording is taking place.  However, as soon as I bring up MythTV
>> on my F/E the HDHR recording becomes "corrupt", for a lack of a
>> better term.  By corrupt I mean there are severe video and audio
>> breakups and dropouts to the point where the recording is
>> unwatchable.  This is not just a playback issue; the corruption is
>> actually in the file.  For testing purposes I have run some of the
>> F/E functions on the B/E system and this does not cause the
>> corruption to occur.  This is leading me to believe that there is
>> some type of network issue, but I can't figure out what the problem
>> is and why it is happening. ...

If you after you stop the F/E does the video return to normal? Have
you tried running mythtvbackend with "-v all", start a recording, and
then fire up the F/E to see if any messages are logged? If nothing
else this might give you a good idea of what the F/E and B/E are
doing together that could lead resource starvation of the HDHR.

Looking to the netowrk, with the HDHR the switch itself is usually
the weak spot, as seen in the forums. Before helping diagnose network
troubles a network diagram of switches, systems, and zones would be
helpful.

-
Scott