[mythtv-users] help with Video Capture using S-Video or Component on PVR-150 and MythTV

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:06:37 UTC 2007

On 2/12/07, Irumbo Mateene <imateene at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to capture and record Video from S-Video connection from my STB
> Motorola DCT-6200.  Since I can't capture premium channels I thought I'd be
> able to use the S-Video out to record premium channels.
>
> This is my configuration:
>
> ABIT NF-M2 nView Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150
> Hauppage Pvr-150 with IR Blaster and remote
>
> HD5500 dvb card ...
>
> Linux kernel 2.6.19.0
>

> the dvb card  is on    /dev/video0
> PVR-150 has 3 dev nodes    /dev/video1 , /dev/video24 and /dev/video32
>
> I used VLC's , video lan client, ( capture device ) setting to verify that I
> could watch TV by going to PVR section and specifying /dev/video1 as my
> device.    I then connected S-Video cable from Cable Box to PVR-150 and
> tried to switch to /dev/video24 and /dev/video32 but I couldn't see
> anything.    At this point I don't know if what I am doing is correct?
>
> I also can't find info that shows how to capture or display  images from
> S-Video or Componet input any ideas?

Trying not to be too nit picky, but it's composite.  Component capture
isn't possible on a PVR-150.  Composite is a lower quality option than
SVideo.

> for example.. how do I properly set up S-Video capture for Pvr-150 in mythtv
> ?    My PVR-150 in mythtv-setup shows at least 3 inputs under  cable,
> component and S-Video ..  ( I have 3 inputs used up: cable, S-Video and
> Sound  )

You must run the cable from the STB into the SVideo on your PVR150, as
well as Audio from your STB in the form of 2 Red/White RCA cables.
Then in your mythtv-setup screen under Capture Cards, you will need to
setup your PVR-150.  Once that's done, you need to define Input
Connections, specifically, the SVideo connection to your STB.  The
rest should be well documented on the wiki.

> how should I properly configure mythtv to use an S-Video connection? ..   I
> will add this to the mythtv wiki if I find a successful method that works ..
>
> I am presuming that since I wasn't able to see data from my S-Video
> connection using VLC means that anything else I do now won't work until I
> get that figured out.. btw I can get cable w/out a problem using the cable
> input ... and my DVB card  gets HD qam 256 w/out a problem ....
>
> any suggestions are welcome
>
> IM

It sounds like you are trying the wrong video device when trying to
directly view video.  Check the output of dmesg after you modprobe
ivtv to verify which video devices you should be using.  Good luck!

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com