[mythtv-users] Dish 311 and lirc

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 12 15:36:23 UTC 2007

On 02/12/2007 09:30 AM, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 04:38:36PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/2007 10:40 PM, Dave wrote:
>>
>>> You can get a receiver off of http://irblaster.info record the codes and
>>> then send it back to them as a return when you are done with it.
>>> Total cost $3 for shipping and you got yourself the config file.
>>>
>>> I found the easiest way to do the recording with this method is to use
>>> winlirc.  Takes about 5 minutes total.
>>>
>> Don't do that for a DISH receiver...  It's just not worth the effort and
>> the product you get is 10000x (approximately) less useful than the
>> ACTUAL codeset--which Endaf took the time to reverse engineer.
>>

> Not to mention that you're being extremely rude -- I'd call it ripping
> off -- a small business.  Not a nice thing in my book.

You're right.  I quit reading that paragraph before the "sent it back to
them" part.  Definitely not cool.

> I have a question about the codeset on the wiki though.  I have the Dish
> 322, dual-tuner model.  According to the manual, tuner 2 can only be
> controlled by a UHF remote.  Yet I notice that there are multiple unit
> definitions here in this file.  Does that mean that there is an
> undocumented way to control tuner 2 on the Dish 322 via IR?

Nope.  Multiple receivers refers to a stack of boxes.  I.e. I had a 4922
and a 311.  Unless your electronics foo is much greater than mine (and
you're able to build a UHF transmitter and hook it into LIRC--and
possibly reverse engineer the RF codeset), the second tuner on the 322
is useless to Myth.

Feel free to add this bit of info to the wiki entry for the next person
reading it.  (Nudge.  Nudge. :)

Mike