[mythtv-users] Slow network causes myth to hang?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 11 17:13:30 UTC 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 9:57 AM, David Campbell wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> I doubt it would help much if at all.
>
> Really?  I would have thought that V4 would certainly have helped in
> this scenario.
>>
>> Another thing that  might help though:
>>
>> If you are not getting maximum signal and therefore throughput on
>> your wireless you might think about high-gain or even directional
>> antenna(s) to improve the signal level. Obviously this will not help
>> if you are already at maximum.
>
> The problem is that my access point is provided by my ISP as we are
> ADSL2 and it comes as a feature of the router (the much hated
> speedtouch
> 780).
>
> I'm just going to add another access point for myth whcih it can
> saturate if needs be and everyone else will use the other AP.

Do you mean to install a second wireless access point in the same
house? This could be trouble. Even if you make sure to not have
overlapping channels you could still have problems as the frontends
in most 802.11 devices are broad as a barn door. You could get an
802.11a unit and that should work, but now you're buying an AP and a
NIC.

I would see if you can disable the wireless functions of your DSL
router and install a wireless router/access point of your own that
you can have more control over. Of course you will note that I quite
free with spending *your* money :-)

But the real answer is to find some way to get CAT-5 to the Myth box
from the router. But you know that :-)