[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 23:37:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:00:00PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
> And I find them to be fairly affordable on eBay. I'd find the
> off-the- shelf prices (here in the UK, at least) a little
> prohibitive, but I  don't think I'm impatient enough that that
> needs to be a problem. It  looks like one can pick up a 9500-12
> for a couple of hundred quid,  6TB should be enough for anybody.

This thread prompted me to take a gander at 3ware cards on ebay.  I
didn't see any used (or reasonably priced) PCI Express 3ware SATA
RAID cards.  All the ones I would consider affordable (e.g. 9500)
are 64-bit PCI cards.

So, to those of you who own these cards, do you also have
motherboards with 64-bit PCI (which are usually found only on
"server" grade (i.e.  very expensive) boards), or do you just run
them in 32-bit PCI slots found on most commodity motherboards?

I used to use a 64 bit SCSI card.  None of my mobos have ever had
the bigger PCI slots, and this card would actually *not* work in
several motherboards.  I'm not sure if this was a failure of the
motherboard or the SCSI card.

Shrug,
Matt