[mythtv-users] Dish 311 and lirc

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 19:11:14 UTC 2007

On 09/02/07, Allison Jones <allisonannejones at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried using mode2 to see if I could capture the signal from my dish
> remote, but it doesn't show any keypresses.  Upon further reading, it seems
> that it might be an issue with the Hauppauge receiver being incompatible
> with the Dish remote.  I don't have another non-hauppauge receiver, and I
> can't solder (well, never have anyway).

The Hauppauge IR receivers are limited to the RC-5 protocol - so if
the Dish remote does not use this, you will not be able to use
irrecord. Looking at
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/dishnet/Dish_Network it appears
the Dish configs also use a 56kHz frequency, which may also be causing
issues with the PVRs IR blaster.

However, this should work with your serial IR blaster. If you have a
digitalcamera or camcorder sensitive to IR light, you could monitor
the IR blaster to make sure it really is emitting IR light.

> I also have tried changing the built-in codeset of the Dish receiver.  I
> started at 1, and now I'm set to 9.
>
> Anyway, I am *so close* to getting this going.  WAF is a
> frequently-tossed-about term here, but I'm dealing with a HAF.  Right now,
> he's totally not appreciating!  He says: "I told you we should have bought a
> TIVO."

For flexibility my advice would be to get hold of a simple serial IR
receiver. These are not limited in the same way the Hauppauge cards
are (should work with most/all protocols) and you'll be able to record
your Dish config with it if you can't get one of the online examples
working. You'll also be able to use many remotes with your MythTV
system than with the PVRs IR receiver.

As you also seem to have exhausted the limited codeset that the IR
blaster of the PVR-150 supports, you will probably have to ditch the
idea of using the PVR-150 to control the Dish box. At home I use
serial IR blasters and receivers (for cheapness and simplicity) but
many users use USB devices - it really comes down to how many serial
ports you have and your soldering skills (or access to them). I've
cobbled together my receivers and blasters onto a single serial port
which makes life easier when trying to find motherboards with serial
ports as I only need one.

I'd give it another go with the serial IR blaster with the config
Endaf posted and see if you can get things working.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/