[mythtv-users] nuvexport vs. mythtv transcoding

Robert Tsai mythtv at tsaiberspace.net
Thu Feb 8 20:45:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 08:17:20PM +0000, Per Olausson wrote:
> Until recently (when I upgraded to svn head) I was only able to use
> mythtv transcoding. I noticed while using that that the size of the
> files were still quite large, but I was happy for what I could get
> out of it.
>
> After my upgrade, I can now use nuvexport --transcode xvid reliably
> (so far anyway) and it produces files which are much smaller. As far
> as I knew, both use divx/xvid but there is probably something wrong
> with my settings for mythtv.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to configure the internal
> transcoding to be as good as nuvexport --transcode to xvid? Is it
> possible?
>
> If it is, could someone please explain how?

I think the trade-off you make with mythtranscode vs. nuvexport is:

	- Ease of use (you would have to configure nuvexport into a
	  user job).
	- Speed (last I tried, mythtranscode was faster).
	- Quality for a given filesize (last I played with it, the
	  various things available with nuvexport give you much better
	  quality transcodes). I don't know exactly what codec is used
	  by mythtranscode, but my configuration yields worse results
	  at bigger filesizes when compared against similar content
	  found on the web encoded with XviD, etc.

For me, I choose mythtranscode for ease of use and its integration
with MythTV. I'm sensitive to filesize (but not too much, since I
watch and delete), and don't care too much about quality.

--Rob