[mythtv-users] Frontend/Backend Hardware Suggestions on a Budget

Ryan spike_bizkit14 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 06:02:44 UTC 2007

The build I am currently thinking of:

$76.99   CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB DDR 400
$59.00   AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz socket 939 for $12 I may go with the 3800 for 2.4 GHz
$59.99   BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M9 Socket 939 Micro ATX
$59.99   COOLER MASTER CAVALIER 3 (ATX/MicroATX case)
HD, I am still deciding how fast of a sata I should get, how large it should be, and how large of a cache
I do need a graphics card with component out since I have a crappy TV here at school, but it could have s-video if there is some sort of inexpensive cable for s-video to component.
I was thinking about maybe using a Hauppauge 350 for video out instead, but I do not know how easy this might be.
If I get a graphics card I will probably go for the budget Hauppauge 150.

These prices are all from newegg...If there are any recommendations/suggestions, let me know. This will be my first Mythbox and yes it will be only for PVR uses. Any thing you could suggest to help me avoid common noob errors in selecting parts. It will be my main frontend/backend box. If you know of any better deals that would help a lot also. This is a budget system remember! Thanks for any help you could offer!  And Thank you for all the help you have given me so far!