[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:33:52 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 10:59:56AM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> Still, the headache form all that fan noise =)

FYI, I started a topic on finding a good *quiet* case for a file
server on silent pc review:

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37719

These "true" server/rackmount/hotswap enclosures that have been
suggested (e.g. the Norco DS-1220) are nice if you have a basement
or otherwise closed off room that you can house something that makes
a lot of noise.

My belief is that you can keep your drives very cool with slow (i.e.
quiet) fans if there is a half-inch or so between each drive.
Unfortunately, that rules out most server-type enclosures.

FWIW, when I go to upgrade my 4x400mb RAID5 array (which now seems
wimpy compared to what some of you have mentioned!), I'll probably
get a Cooler Master Stacker or maybe even the Lian Li PC-343.

Here's a file server that should cause most MythTV users to drool:

    http://www.networkisdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3

Matt