[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Wed Feb 7 16:05:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:36:28 +0000
Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2007, at 13:44, Stephen Sassman wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity... Anyone have an opinion on DLP?
>
> Cheap & they seem to work well enough.
>
> I would probably choose a DLP over LCD or plasma, simply because I'll
> be able to get the screen size for much less money, and I don't care
> that it's a few inches thick at the base.

I had a regular TV and replaced it with an LCD.  I have been very happy with it.  Westinghouse 47" - no tuner, but since I use myth or a VCR was able to save $1000 or so.  technically its a big ass monitor.

My brother has a DLP and it works great, slightly less in the resolution department, but I am not sure that applies to all DLPs.  His DLP is a mitsubishi I believe.

In my experience the biggest deciding factor is the connection to the TV.  I would strongly advise getting something with a VGA or DVI connector.  That has made my life so much easier.  Mythtv's OSD looks perfect.  I still use the PVR350 for encoding, but not playing back now.

The DLP's are big.  Versus an LCD you are trading $$$ for size.  Take a look at them in the store.

Also read up on refresh rates, brightness, modes, etc...

Pros and cons to everything, including keeping your current tv :)