[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 15:21:02 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, Brett Kosinski <fancypantalons at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Norco DS-1210 is a Firewire attached 12 drive RAID enclosure.
> > Newegg sells it for $570, which last I checked is about the price of
> > the hardware for 3 computers (~$200 each, assuming modest *very*
> > hardware), with a lower electrical power requirement, a lower space
> > requirement, an increased ease of installation, etc.
> >

>  Wow, that is a *nice* looking piece of hardware.  I presume it shows up as
> 1 (in the case of RAID0) or 12 firewire mass-storage devices, so you have
> the option of software-RAID'ing them up in whatever configuration you see
> fit?
>
> Man, that thing alone would convince me to invest in a rack for my
> basement... :)

Honestly, not really sure, how it shows up though I suspect your
right. You could always disable the RAID0 support and use software
RAID to connect them as you wish. The only downside seems to be it is
1394A, which limits you to 400MB.

They do sell other similar systems, including a eSATA version, and I'm
sure there are other companies that sell similar setups as well. This
one is nice because its cheap. Though it does require PATA drives
(which may limit overall speed).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!