[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 6 16:32:04 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Jeffery Swan wrote:

> As for using linux to run these, the FreeBSD seems to be fine and I
> am able to use some really old PCs. My current "experimmentation
> model" is a Pentium 600 Mhz with 256 Meg RAM and it seems to work
> great. (Yes I am a cheap Bast***)!!!

I'm sure freeNAS works. My question was does it seem to offer any
advantages over a Linux system? The "experimmentation" (sic) model
you describe should be more than capable of doing what FreeNAS is
doing and might be a tad faster at RAID5.

It has nothing to do with "cheap" as both OSes are free and would run
on the exact same H/W.

The reason I ask is I have an old machine with a VIA C3 "Samuel" CPU
and 128MB that I was thinking of turning into an NAS server. I hadn't
thought about the FreeNAS option but if there is some advantage I'd
be interested.

My other option is an old Cobalt Qube 2, but it looks like I'd have
to tinker to get FreeNAS running on that and I can get Debian up on
it easily.